Popular Posts

Sunday 2 January 2011

last gasp!!!!!!


I returned to saxon mill again today and fished from the top meadows down to the weir again .


Same approach as before and the river was in perfect condition .The level had dropped by 5 inches and the colour was a deep green .I was buoyed by this and really felt that the pegs I had fished before would produce today .How wrong I was and all the way down the meadow my tip remained motionless.

A chub of 1lb 6oz.
I plodded my way down from swim to swim and tried every bit of water craft I had in my arsenal but I just could not get a bite .Over the past 2 days on the river I have seen 2 cormorants and a shag all of which have been in the upper meadows of the stretch away from the pub and weir and more importantly people activity.


It is well known that in the winter the fish shoal up in the steady water immediatley above the pub and pleasure bags here are plentiful.The theory is that the cormorants push the fish down here but won't venture down due to public activity and also the many overhanging trees hamper their escape.


My fear is that they are also pushing the larger fish down there as well .The river in the upper meadows just looks so perfect that I refuse to believe that it is barren.Over the next few month's I intend to try it over and over again and make it my mission to catch fish from this section.


Disheartened I walked down to the weirpool , and ventured left over the stile to another stretch of Warwick water which is banked on an Island down below the weirpool.Down here the river is around 6feet deep and pacey .The plan was to flick out a small piece of flake and let it wash round under some overhanging brambles.After several casts the tip rattled and pulled slowly round and was met with a firm strike .At last a fish was hooked and after a brief but spirited fight a small barrel shaped chub was in the net .


I have never been so pleased to see a fish and it was the only one I was to see for the rest of the day.

Still its my first of the year and a great boost for my confidence.

2 comments:

  1. Barry, I had a number of chub from the top meadows last January, found a shoal of them at the upper limits and had a couple of three to four pounders about midway along. I reckon there's a few big wise old fish up there but its such a slog walking through all the dead veg!

    Surprised you didn't pick up a dace or two above the pub but at least the chub gets you off the mark on the challenge board...!

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fish is a fish Bazal.

    I was on the Avon today and it looked perfect however I had to wait four hours and until exactly four o'clock for a bite.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete